COVID-19: supporting international students
The University of London's member institutions are proud to be UK universities of choice for very many international students. So we recognise that some members of our University community will be worried about family and friends who might be in areas where COVID-19 has had the greatest impact.
We also know from media reports that people who are ethnically east Asian in appearance have been facing inappropriate and hostile reactions in public places. Within the University, this kind of behaviour may be grounds for a complaint of harassment or discrimination. We will not tolerate racism in any form, and we encourage students and staff to report any incident of racial harassment.
We ask that students and staff support their fellow friends and colleagues in solidarity with the whole of the international higher education community.
In our halls of residence, if you are worried about family and friends, or if you are concerned about inappropriate reactions from others, please speak in confidence to your Hall Warden or a Resident Advisor (RA).
For more general support and information, you can contact your institution's wellbeing support services, or contact one of the following helplines:
- UKCISA Student Advice Line: +44 20 7788 9214 (1pm-4pm, Monday-Friday)
- UK Department for Education Coronavirus Helpline Phone: 0800 046 8687 / DfE.email@example.com (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
- UK Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Helpline: 0800 678 1767 / CIH@homeoffice.gov.uk (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)
In line with UK government instructions, students should not be travelling for Easter.
- Read Next
- Have spare time on lockdown? – take an Ivy League free online course! Visit the Buckingham Palace Going out while staying in – Friday night sorted! Discover mindfulness in the coronavirus lockdown Contribute to research in the fight against coronavirus The British Museum collection in your room! Free opera all the way from the Met! Go to a live show without leaving your room! Theatre on lockdown - sure! Learn something new online
- Changes to halls services, facilities, and regulations COVID-19: supporting international students Making the most of LinkedIn Making the transition to university Coping with stress during the COVID-19 outbreak Recipe of the week: Chinese fakeaway Make yourself more employable in 2020 Fact-checked coronavirus resources Tell us about your wellbeing at university Self-isolation