International students: What to bring to uni
So, you've got your place at uni (congrats!) and soon you will be making the big move from home to university in the UK!
But first, have you figured out what you will need to bring with you?
Here are some essentials you'll NEED to remember:
- Medication (you could get this in the UK too) - don't forget you'll also need to register with a doctor when you get here!
- Photos from home
Most other items can be bought once you arrive, which will save you some luggage space:
- Bedding (pillows, quilt, sheets)
- Warm clothes
- Sports kit
- Cleaning items
- Kitchen utensils
- Waterproof raincoat, this is Britain after all...
- Coffee, tea, mugs, food
Where to get your essentials
We put together a list of websites where you can order essentials online to be delivered straight to your door.
There are also some things that you CAN'T bring to uni, so make sure you take a look at the list below to check what you'll be allowed:
- Rice cookers or chip fryers
- Candles, incense sticks, tea lights
- Smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
- Dartboards or weapons of any kind (real or replicas - don't bring them)
Now, all that's left to do is to get packing!
- Read Next
- Monkeypox: What you need to know Life in the UK vs. China How to be sustainable at uni Have you had your meningitis jab? Stay healthy over summer! Starting university as an LGBTQ+ student What it's (realistically) like living in halls Try: Three good things Meet me in 5: Adrian Clark Try: Small talk with a stranger
- What's cooking? Online menu for catered halls International Students: Ordering your essentials How we stay safer, together Contact your Hall Management team Support Services at your college Garden Halls: Meet your warden and their team How do you meet guys without using apps or gay bars? Be aware of fake police officers! Register with your local GP How to get in touch with the Warden's Team