Travel quarantine (catered)
You can find all our COVID-19 content at campuslife.london.ac.uk/tags/COVID-19.
There is a quick summary at campuslife.london.ac.uk/covid19-guidance-start-here_122007.
A note about terminology: The UK government uses the terms “staying home”, “self-isolation”, and “quarantine” interchangeably. We think this is confusing, so in the University of London, in line with the World Health Organization, we use these terms in their proper medical senses: quarantine is what you do as a precaution, if you might have been exposed to infection but are in normal good health; self-isolation is what you do if you are unwell with symptoms of infection, or if you have had a positive test for coronavirus.
Below are the key instructions that you must follow when quarantining following international travel. You will also find our self-isolation and quarantine FAQs helpful.
Everyone arriving in the UK from outside the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands) must quarantine for 10 full days and take two coronavirus tests during their quarantine period. Even if both tests are negative, the quarantine period is still 10 full days. For people arriving from a “red list” of countries must complete their 10 days in a designated quarantine hotel.
Before arriving in the UK, you must:
- take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel;
- book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine; and
- complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package booking reference number.
The government rules are explained in full here, including how to book your two mandatory tests:
The “red list” of countries from which travel to the UK is banned is here:
And there is more information about quarantine hotels here:
Test to release
The government's test to release scheme ended on 15 February. Everyone arriving in the UK must now quarantine for 10 full days.
If you are arriving to check-in to your hall for the first time
You do not need to tell us in advance about your need to quarantine. When you check-in, we will ask you to complete an arrival slip, and this includes the option to let us know that you will be in quarantine.
If you have previously checked in to your hall and have been on an overseas trip
Tell us that you have to enter travel quarantine using the form at bit.ly/uolselfisolation.
If you do not complete the form, we will not be able to support you or deliver meals to you.
STAY IN YOUR ROOM
You may leave your room only for the following reasons, as infrequently as possible and returning to your room without delay:
- To use designated shared bathroom facilities - these will be indicated with an orange "Quarantining residents only" sign.
- To evacuate the building if the fire alarm sounds, or other emergency.
- To obtain medical care or essential medicines.
- To use the hall garden, as outlined HERE.
- Other limited reasons, outlined at gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk.
We will deliver your meals
During travel quarantine in catered accommodation, we will deliver breakfast, lunch, and dinner to your room, Monday to Friday; and brunch and dinner, Saturday and Sunday, for the full period of your quarantine. (Brunch at the weekend is in replacement of breakfast and lunch.)
Do not allow anyone into your room
No one else should enter your room unless it is to help in an emergency.
Shared bathroom facilities
If you share bathroom facilities, please use the toilet and shower cubicles marked with an orange “travel quarantine” sign.
Use delivery services instead of going out
Please order food and other essentials online, for delivery to your hall, instead of going out shopping. You might find THIS LIST of delivery companies useful. Find out how to receive deliveries whilst in quarantine HERE.
Wear a face covering and keep a safe distance
You must wear a face covering over your mouth and nose at all times when outside your room.
Keep a safe distance of at least 2 metres from other people at all times.
Wipe shared surfaces and equipment
Take care to wipe down all surfaces and other items in the shared bathroom before and after you use them, using the disinfectant wipes provided.
Take care of your mental health and wellbeingRead more about this HERE.
What to do if you develop symptoms of coronavirus
See HERE for what to do if you develop a new, persistent cough, fever (high temperature), or loss/change in your sense of taste/smell.
This is mandatory guidance
The police and Public Health England have powers to detain individuals who do not comply with this guidance.
In the Intercollegiate Halls, failure to quarantine/self-isolate when this is indicated will trigger paragraph 24.1 of the Licence Agreement:
24 In any of the following instances the University is entitled to end this agreement and recover possession of the Accommodation. Any other rights or remedies the University may have will remain in force:
24.1 on 24 hours’ notice if Your behaviour constitutes a serious risk to the health, safety or welfare of Yourself or others, or serious risk to the University’s or others’ property.
- Read Next
- Free STRESS-LESS Mindfulness Meditation Series Reporting concerns about bullying, harassment, or abuse Sexual assault helplines January 2021 Lockdown - Accommodation FAQs January lockdown in England Scams in the time of a pandemic International Hall Warden and his team Tuition Fees Scams - beware! What to do if you have coronavirus symptoms Support during COVID-19
- Travel quarantine (self-catered) International Students: Ordering your essentials New to banking in the UK? Arriving to your hall for the first time International students: essential info 10% off your student essentials COVID-19 precautions in halls Making the transition to university Social distancing FAQs Travelling from... Stansted Airport