Travel quarantine (catered)
Updated on 19 July 2021.
Have you seen our new requirements, requests and recommendations for staying safe, together?
You can find all our COVID-19 content at campuslife.london.ac.uk/tags/COVID-19.
There is a quick summary at campuslife.london.ac.uk/covid19-guidance-start-here_122007.
Below are the key instructions that you must follow when quarantining following international travel. You will also find our self-isolation and quarantine FAQs helpful.
Travelling to the UK
Everyone arriving in England from outside the Common Travel Area (UK, Ireland, Isle of Man, and Channel Islands) must:
- have proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within the 3 days before departing for England;
- book and pay for COVID-19 tests to take after arrival in England (the number of tests and where they may be taken depend on where the person has travelled from);
- complete a passenger locator form before arriving at the UK border; and
- follow the red, amber, or green rules relevant to the area where they have travelled from.
If you have travelled from or through a red list country
If you have travelled from or through an amber list country...
… and you have been fully vaccinated by the NHS
You will not have to quarantine, but you will need to complete a passenger locator form and take a coronavirus test before arriving in the UK; and take a PCR test on or before day 2 after arrival in the UK. The government guidance is HERE. You can see how to get your NHS COVID Pass to confirm your vaccination history HERE.
Please note that if you have travelled from or through France in the 10 days prior to arriving in the UK, you must follow the instructions as if you are not fully vaccinated.
… and you have not been fully vaccinated with an NHS vaccine
You must quarantine when you arrive in the UK and take pre-paid PCR tests on days 2 and 8 after arrival. Quarantine normally lasts for 10 full days after you arrive, but there is an option to take an additional, paid-for, "test-to-release" COVID-19 test on day 5 of quarantine.
If you have travelled from a green list country and have not visited any red or amber list countries in the 10 days prior to arrival in the UK
You will not have to quarantine, but you will need to complete a passenger locator form and take a coronavirus test before arriving in the UK; and take a PCR test on or before day 2 after arrival in the UK. The government guidance is HERE.
Tell us that you have to enter travel quarantine using the form at bit.ly/uolselfisolation.
If you do not complete the form, we will not be able to support you or deliver meals to you.
STAY IN YOUR ROOM
You may leave your room only for the following reasons, as infrequently as possible and returning to your room without delay:
- To use designated shared bathroom facilities - these will be indicated with an orange "Quarantining residents only" sign.
- To evacuate the building if the fire alarm sounds, or other emergency.
- To obtain medical care or essential medicines, or to collect or return coronavirus tests.
- To use the hall garden, as outlined HERE.
- Other limited reasons, outlined at gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk.
We will deliver your meals
During travel quarantine in catered accommodation, we will deliver breakfast, lunch, and dinner to your room, Monday to Friday; and brunch and dinner, Saturday and Sunday, for the full period of your quarantine. (Brunch at the weekend is in replacement of breakfast and lunch.)
Do not allow anyone into your room
No one else should enter your room unless it is to help in an emergency.
Shared bathroom facilities
If you share bathroom facilities, please use the toilet and shower cubicles marked with an orange “travel quarantine” sign.
Use delivery services instead of going out
Please order food and other essentials online, for delivery to your hall, instead of going out shopping. You might find THIS LIST of delivery companies useful. Find out how to receive deliveries whilst in quarantine HERE.
Wear a face covering and keep a safe distance
You must wear a face covering over your mouth and nose at all times when outside your room.
Keep a safe distance of at least 2 metres from other people at all times.
Wipe shared surfaces and equipment
Take care to wipe down all surfaces and other items in the shared bathroom before and after you use them, using the disinfectant wipes provided.
Take care of your mental health and wellbeingRead more about this HERE.
What to do if you develop symptoms of coronavirus
See HERE for what to do if you develop a new, persistent cough, fever (high temperature), or loss/change in your sense of taste/smell.
This is mandatory guidance
The police and Public Health England have powers to detain individuals who do not comply with this guidance.
In the Intercollegiate Halls, failure to quarantine/self-isolate when this is indicated will trigger paragraph 24.1 of the Licence Agreement:
24 In any of the following instances the University is entitled to end this agreement and recover possession of the Accommodation. Any other rights or remedies the University may have will remain in force:
24.1 on 24 hours’ notice if Your behaviour constitutes a serious risk to the health, safety or welfare of Yourself or others, or serious risk to the University’s or others’ property.
- Read Next
- Easing of coronavirus restrictions from 19 July Get your vaccine now! Safer travel Be aware of fake police officers! Reporting lateral flow results to your university Contact your Hall Management team Get a COVID-19 test twice a week Download the NHS coronavirus app Psychosocial support for students Yoga and Pilates classes for our residents
- Travel quarantine (self-catered) International Students: Ordering your essentials New to banking in the UK? Arriving to your hall for the first time International students: essential info 10% off your student essentials Let's stay safe, together Making the transition to university Travelling from... Stansted Airport What's cooking? Online menu for catered halls