Life In London
Recipe of the week: Chicken and chorizo jambalaya
Now that January is here it's time to kick start the healthy eating, so welcome to the series Recipe of the week. We will be bringing you healthy meals that are not only student-friendly but also extremely delicious.
This weeks recipe is a chicken and chorizo jambalaya...
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g chorizo, sliced
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 250g long grain rice
- 450g can of plum tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
For the vegetarians out there, instead of the meat add in some other vegetables, green beans and mushrooms work well in this dish.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan with a lid and cook 2 chopped chicken breasts for 5-8 mins until they are cooked thoroughly and golden.
- Remove and set aside. Tip in the diced onion and cook for 3-4 mins until soft.
- Add 1 thinly sliced red pepper, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 75g sliced chorizo and 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, and cook for 5 mins more.
- Stir the chicken back in with 250g long grain rice, add the 400g can of tomatoes and 500ml chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 30-35 mins until the rice is tender.
Given 5 star rating on BBC goodfood so definitely worth a try!
- Read Next
- Amali's blog: My top student-friendly recipes Recipes you can make with your flatmates 7 healthy power snacks for studying Start 2020 right with 7 healthy food alternatives! 9 of the BEST winter vegan recipes Make yourself more employable in 2020 What to do in an emergency How do I make my long distance relationship last? Sexual Health: What do I need to know about PrEP and U=U? What is mental health and wellbeing? Looking after you mental health and wellbeing #InternationalStudents: Coping with missing home What do I say when someone is feeling down? Blog: How I told my family about my mental health How to cope with your 'winter blues'
- Menu for January (catered halls) 10 ways to live sustainably in halls What is it like to live in the Intercollegiate Halls of Residence? Eleanor Rosa House - Instruction Manual Amali's Blog: Bloomsbury on a budget!