Health and Wellbeing
Recipe of the week: Gigantes plaki
This super healthy simple vegan recipe is an absolute winner, perfect as part of a meze or served piping hot with a fluffy jacket potato. Made too much, freeze it and have it for your lunch in a tortilla wrap with some feta to make Greek tacos!
- 1x tin of butter beans
- 3 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2x tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, tip in the onion and garlic, then cook over a medium heat for 10 mins until softened but not browned
- Add the tomato purée, cook for a further min, add remaining ingredients (sugar, oregano, cinnamon and parsley) then simmer for 2-3 mins, season generously
- Drain the beans and add them to the pan stirring everything together
- Tip into a large ovenproof dish, then place in the oven for approximately 40-45 mins, uncovered and without stirring. The beans will absorb all the fabulous flavours and the sauce will thicken
- Allow to cool, then scatter with parsley and drizzle with a little more olive oil to serve.
Serve with some warm pitta bread or a jacket potato and it's as simple as that!
View this post on Instagram
Hannahs weekly use up whatever’s laying about dinner 🙄 Gigantes Plaki, some very out of date spinach, vegan feta and some tortillas for dippy 🥣 #vegan #veganism #veganfood #veganuk #vegansofig #vegansofinstagram #vegansoflondon #veganfoodporn #foodporn #whatveganseat #veganeats #vegandinner #veganlunch #govegan #veganlife #vegangirl #vegangains #cleaneating #vegancooking #veganfoodshare #veganfitness #vegetarian #veganrunner #plantbased #veganlife #gigantesplaki #vegancheese #veganfeta
- Read Next
- Recipe of the week: Smoky veggie chilli Recipe of the week: Chicken and chorizo jambalaya Recipe of the week: Chinese fakeaway Recipe of the week: Healthy, hearty breakfast Amali's blog: My top student-friendly recipes 7 healthy power snacks for studying Recipes you can make with your flatmates Pancakes worth waking up for
- Are you struggling with perfectionism? Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mumps: protect yourself and others Time to Talk at Garden Halls Keeping safe in London - your quick guide.