Life In London
Planning your winter UK staycation
Staying in the UK for Christmas?
You may not be going home but that isn't all bad because there is SO much for you to do whilst you're here.
It's probably worth being aware that your flatmates and neighbours may start packing to go home for the holidays, especially students from the UK and Europe. Don't feel sad though because your British winter staycation awaits!
Here are just a handful of things that you can do with your spare time:
Visit Christmas markets
If you have friends living in other parts of the UK, now is the perfect opportunity to visit them and have a look around their local area, especially their Christmas market. They are always a highlight of the festive season in the UK, so now is the time to celebrate Christmas them.
The best place to go? Winter Wonderland
Go on scenic walks
There are some amazing places to walk and enjoy the British outdoors all over the UK. Check out the National Trust and English Heritage because they have some great sites where you can spend the day and even stay overnight. Pack some warm and cosy clothes though - it might snow!
The best place to go? The Yorkshire Dales
Go visit another city
Now that you've experienced life in London, it's time to expand your horizons and visit the places in the UK that you haven't been to yet. It could be a big city or a small village, just go and explore and get into the Christmas spirit.
The best place to go? Birmingham is the UK's biggest city after London and has equally as amazing attractions, restaurants and places to go shopping.
We would NOT recommend camping with a tent and sleeping bag in the middle of winter, but we do recommend trying 'glamping' aka glamorous camping. How it works is...
- You book a 'pod' that has a bed, heaters and some even have TVs!
- You'll need to make your own food - so pack things that are easy to make like noodles, tinned food and things that you can grill. It's a great experience and lots of fun!
- You usually share the area with
The best place to go? The Lake District has a few choices AND you can go on lots of walks whilst you're there. FYI, The Lakes is the home of Beatrix Potter so to experience everything traditionally English, this is the place to be.
There are lots of things that you can enjoy over the Christmas period in the UK. All you need to do now is get booking!
- Read Next
- A guide to food shopping Choosing a mobile network Your guide to shopping in the UK New to banking in the UK? Travelling from... Heathrow Airport Spending Christmas in London? Leaving halls for Christmas? Celebrating Christmas the student way! Amali's Blog: Bloomsbury on a budget! Welcome to... Bloomsbury Where can I buy shampoo? January arrivals - Settling into London life Cost of LIVING in London Why my sports team made university amazing... 5 reasons to be excited about life at International Hall
- Sustainability at Gardens Leaving halls for Christmas? Amali's Blog: Bloomsbury on a budget! Your guide to bicycle parking at halls Eleanor Rosa House - Instruction Manual